Friday, August 12, 2011

Friday August 25, 2006

Now i know how Annie Sullivan felt when Helen first grasped "W_A_T_E_R_".I know Brianna is (Thank you Jesus)perfectly sighted and can hear and speak(sort of), but I wonder just how much she really grasps.She laughs when i tell her"NO",stares at me blankly when I try to teach her the sign for "MILK" and "MOMMY".
Today when I was rocking her for her nap, I was singing "Blessing" from her Twila Paris lullaby CD when i clearly heard a bird singing outside that i hadn't heard since before my grandparents died 10 years ago.I smiled and opened my eyes wide and said"Birdie" and did the sign for it.
i wasn't really expecting anything, but when she untucked her little hand and did the little sign back and went"beh!" i nearly dropped her!I just teared up and said "Yes.Birdie!!"The bird sang another 7 or 8 times and she kept making the sign after each time it sang.
Later that day i was feeding her some chicken stew and asked her if she wanted some more.Out of nowhere, she did the sign for that too!I had been trying to get her to do that sign for a few weeks, but this was the first time she did it on her own, no help from me.Every time I took food out to eat today, she would sign"more", whether or not it was something she could have= but I always gave her some food so she'd know i understand.

No comments:

Post a Comment